Re: source packages and upstream source

> If we can establish a way to use unmodified upstream sources, I will write
> a standard for linux-wide source uploads and get it accepted. I've already
> discussed this with various Linux luminaries in connection with having
> PGP-signed upstream sources in a standard form. There is very little change
> necessary from today's procedures.

It seems that the problem with using unmodified upstream sources is that we don't know what subdirectory they will get unpacked into, and that we are currently assuming that it will be ../<name>-<version>.orig/

Would it be possible to instead unpack the original tar in a directory under the debian configuration directory, alongside rules, control, tmp etc.  i.e.:

  ../<name>-<version>/debian/original/

This way we just have to check if this directory contains a single directory (i.e. the upstream package unpacks into a subdirectory), or contains multiple files and directories (Doh! --- its a  ./ tar file).

Making the diffs shouldn't be a problem, with the --exclude option.

I don't know enough about how the patches get applied at the moment to comment on how easy that would be to change.

Cheers, Phil.