Re: source packages and upstream source

Hi Manoj --

I'm concerned about your statement that:
>       Well, so, this means do not require that we
>   *always* have the upstream file untouched in our uploads.

Unless I misunderstand what you mean here, "not-always" (for
my purposes) is equivalent to never -- something like an airline
announcing that they may or may not use planes with an even number
of wings. :-)

Over again, verbosely:  what I think must be avoided is the situation
where a developer downloads source(s) from somewhere then
transforms it somehow by issuing unrecorded commands from the keyboard,
then proceeds to make a debian package.  Unless every action
of the developer is either recorded (good), scripted (better), or
built into the tools we use (best), then a user of the sources cannot
retrace the steps taken by the developer and cannot therefore really
use the debianized sources to add the tweak appropriate to whatever
his purposes may be.  Further, he cannot convince his colleagues or
superiors that he has rationally chosen (including identified) the
tools he's using.

Sure, the debian developer might _also_ need to produce the source
package in some intermediate format to bring it into some kind of
conformity that eases handling by package management tools, but
that is really a side-issue.  Traceability, including precise
specification of the origin and transformation of the sources,
is essential if one is to have a truly useful and credible source
package.

I believe (hope?) that Bruce is right when he says that the
overall effect of a policy that required traceability on Debian's
source packages would probably be very small, and merely serve as a
heads-up for practices that are more or less in place already.
I'm very glad Bruce is pursuing discussions to have a wider
audience (Linux-wide) participate in these procedures.

Susan