Popularity contests and responsibility

Dan Stromberg <strombrg@hydra.acs.uci.edu> writes:

> It probably wouldn't be a good idea to decide -everything- by
> "popularity contest", but some things would definitely be well
> handled by vote.

I disagree.  It would be a bad idea to decide almost anything by
"popularity contest".  The mailing lists have evolved into "debate"
lists rather than "technical discussion" lists.  They are largely
content free.

> I believe it was proposed, because the project has largely refused to
> accept leadership.

I don't believe this is the case.  Sure, everyone in the project has
an opinion to share with the world, but very few people are willing to
accept responsibility.  Bruce was the only person, until recently, who
had any real responsibility over decisions.  Now, that responsibility
has been extended to Brian C. White (VP Engineering) and myself
(Senior VP).  Bruce has also agreed to not muck with our decisions.

The problem has been that the organization was too flat.  That has
changed.

My decision on this subject is that we will wait before implementing
such a system until things have settled down under the new leadership,
which has been approved by the board of directors.  I'm willing to
take the heat for this decision too -- I'm not here to be popular.  We
have more important things to discuss and work on.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan (quinlan@pathname.com)   At work (quinlan@transmeta.com)
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/       PGP key available - http or finger