Re: [RFC] Restructuring of the Debian Project

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Dominik Kubla wrote:
>
> > And if you look at the seperate proposal of a Quality Assurance Group
> > isn't that what i am talking about?  Why form a second group to look
> > after the first? Why not merge them and form a core group?
>
> 	Your 'core team' concept seems to involve only 15 developers working
> only on the requiered packages. My proposal include the whole
> distribution and its ~1100 packages.
> 	I don't like the idea of having an hyper tested core release and
> have no quality control on the other packages. ("required+standard"
> packages =~ 120 packages)

No, it is not that the other packages should not be tested.
It is that the core should not be released if there are problems.

It is a MUST for the core and a less restrictive situation for the rest.

The core ensures that you have _functional_ machine _without_ conflicts
and problems. The additional packages must of course also be tested,
but are a "second tier".

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005