Re: [RFC] Restructuring of the Debian Project

Hi,
>>"Dominik" == Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de> writes:

>> The Board of Directors should select from the active developers a
>> well-skilled group of no more than 15 people to form the "core
>> developers group", which will build and maintain the unified source
>> tree.

>> Uh, a closed development model? No thanks. We are doing very well
>> with the open one, while the BSD-like developments are not doing
>> nearly as well.

Dominik> No, not a closed development model, but a cooperative. If you
Dominik> count the developers in the base system, you will get about
Dominik> that number. So the number of people which "control" the
Dominik> basis of debian will be same, all that is changed is the
Dominik> distinction of that package belongs to A and he has to fix it
Dominik> and this belongs to B and he has to fix it. Instead they
Dominik> would work as a team solving problems when they show up
Dominik> regardless of which package they belong to.  And then i would
Dominik> like to see a bit of development on our behalf. For example
Dominik> have so many developers of different countries and languages
Dominik> that we could easily localize all the linux specific tools
Dominik> (cfdisk, mount, ...) which lack this support and provide
Dominik> these enhancements as patches back to the upstream
Dominik> maintainer.  Right now we are so tangled up in out packaging
Dominik> interdependencies that we (at least not me) have no time for
Dominik> such creative work.

	Right. But, now this is done indirectly; we decide which
 package needs to be in the base on technical grounds. The maintainers
 are people interested in maintaining the package, not picked by any
 esoteric cabal (pardon, BOD members). People leave, others come
 in. (the kernel-image package has had a number of maintainers so far)

	You are proposing selecting a set of people by some criteria,
 and letting them and nobody else on the core. That, in my mind, is
 what is considered a closed development model.

	Also, with sole control comes responsibility. You take that
 away, and you loose motivation (at least a little bit).

	And there is no certainity if a closed group with diffused
 responsibilty would perform better than we are right now.

	manoj
--
 The world is before you, and you need not take it or leave it as it
 was before you came in.  -- James Baldwin