Re: suggestion for a new tool

Rob Browning wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> > Why do we want to `gather opinions', as you say ?
>
> I think the main issue here is not to necessarily make decisions based
> on the votes, but rather to have a way of knowing how maintainers feel
> about a particular issue, especially when they agree, without having
> to have a deluge of "me too's" posted to the list for every concern.

Brace up for some serious me-too-ing:

I agree with Ian that technical decisions should be made on technical
grounds, not democratic ones, _but_
-- not all steps taken by the project are purely technical.  (On the
3rd hand, as the economists would say, this is emphatically NOT a
criticism of previous non-technical steps.)
--alas, not all technical advances occur merely because of the existence
of a great technical idea.  Readiness (legal, economic, other) is just
as important to the spread of an idea as its efficiency, depth, or vision.

I agree with Manoj that growth is a problem, if not the problem, _and
therefore_ the "town meeting" style of self-governance may at some time
reach the end of its effectiveness.  (We may just disagree on the timing.)

I agree with Rob's summary of the reasons why an opinion-gathering tool
might be desirable.

(Re: the usenet software.  I have to work on the FAQ for the next couple
of weeks -- so I won't get to the usenet software til probably
the end of March.  Also, please be aware that I see the group's decision
whether or not to employ any opinion gathering tool as entirely
independent of any efforts I may spend on packaging the usenet software.)

Cheers (really!),
Susan