Re: suggestion for a new tool

Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Why do we want to `gather opinions', as you say ?

I think the main issue here is not to necessarily make decisions based
on the votes, but rather to have a way of knowing how maintainers feel
about a particular issue, especially when they agree, without having
to have a deluge of "me too's" posted to the list for every concern.

As it is now, I think we may often be getting into a position where
most of the maintainers who care about a particular issue support it,
even though the majority of the input is produced by a few people who
disagree strongly, so there's never a feeling that there's a clear
mandate for progress in a particular direction.

A case in point would be some of the trouble Bruce has had recently.
It might have been nice for him to know (assuming it was true) that
95% of the people felt that his press release was OK so he wouldn't
sweat so much over the people that didn't, or conversely, to know that
most thought he'd made a mistake, so that maybe he really did need to
rethink his position.

--
Rob