Re: [RFC] Restructuring of the Debian Project

> I think the main thing you are trying to get from a monolithic source
> tree for the base and a core group is the ability to have fine control
> over conflicts and the ability to instantly see problems that come from
> changing interdependent components. Both of these goals require the
> ability to build the entire base, preferrably with a single command,
> after you make a change.

Exactly. However what you are missing is what most of us have been talking
about all the time is that we are mailnlt talking about a set of core
packages. These parts of this core are the packages that make the standard
MINIMAL configuration that everyone needs to run a Unix on a computer.
It is similar to the current base floppies, except for the fact that after
installation of those you are far from having a functional machine.

Something that would match our current structure best, would be something
like the current ports directory of FreeBSD. I am pretty sure that almost
all of those people that are so violently opposed to the source tree
idea never actually used {Net,Free,Open}BSD and saw how it works
first hand.

Another thing that many people do not understand is that using CVS does
not mean that everything must be tunneled thru the "core group" like in
FreeBSD. Everyone can be responsible for his packages, which are part of
the source tree. Instead of uploading the whole package, you upload the
diff against the last version. Simple as that.

If people think they are not capable of uploading patches instead of
whole packages, we could even create a facility that does unpack the
packet and checks it in locally.

> I'm still not clear that it requires
> the fundamental change you propose to do it.

It is not a fundamental _change_ it is an _addition_ (well that implies a
change, if you want to split hairs) that makes live a lot easier.

BTW: Out of a source tree we could easily again create binary & source
packages and we should indeed do so.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005