Re: [RFC] Restructuring of the Debian Project

> OK. Show me. Take the current base packages and unpack their source.
> Put a top-level Makefile above them. Feed changes back to the
> maintainers if there is anything wrong with their debian/rules files
> that keeps them from building in this scheme (and there should not
> be, as far as I can tell). Check the result into CVS. Document how
> to use the above. Set the developers of the base packages loose in
> the system, and let them decide if it gains them anything.

Consider it started. First results are that the following source
packages in "base" will not extract:

adduser:
dpkg-source: error: tarfile `./adduser_2.13.tar.gz' contains object (adduser-2.11/) not in expected directory (adduser-2.13)

dpkg-ftp:
dpkg-source: error: tarfile `./dpkg-ftp_1.4.8.tar.gz' contains object (dpkg-ftp-1.4.9/) not in expected directory (dpkg-ftp-1.4.8)

loginutils:
dpkg-source: error: diff contains unknown line `\ No newline at end of file'

modconf:
dpkg-source: error: tarfile `./modconf_0.2.1.tar.gz' contains object (modconf-0.2.0/) not in expected directory (modconf-0.2.1)

Later,
  Dominik Kubla
The text above represents my personal opinion and does not represent the
official position of my employer on the issue(s) discussed.
Any official statement made on behalf of my employer by me is marked as such.