Re: forming a core development team

I would suggest having such a core group doing the final touches to a
distribution before a release and having such a group fix bugs coming up
in the stable releases immediately.

I dont think the unstable release needs a core development group and I
doub that the unified source tree model is something good. Distributed
development allows much more freedom for the individual developer which is
good but there must be some synchronization before the stuff is finally
released as a stable version.

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> A number of people have suggested the formation of a small core team to
> continue the development of Debian using a unified source tree and what
> appears to me to be a somewhat-more-closed development model.
>
> I frankly don't think you can carry it off without becoming at least a
> semi-commercial distribution, because with even a group as large as 15
> people, that's going to be a big job for each member, and you're going
> to end up having to pay people. Nor do I think you have the critical mass
> to get started.
>
> However, that's not a reason to stop you, and sometimes I'm surprised by
> things I thought would not work. I'd be happy to see such a core group
> split off to work on these ideas. If we can get an exchange of patches
> between the core group and package maintainers working under the current
> Debian paradigm, that would be even better.

Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.