Re: Changing the way we deal with source archives

David Engel wrote:

> > RedHat handles this case very well - their source packages contain an
> > arbitrary number of original archives and patch files, and a file that
> > contain information on how to generate the build tree from them.
>
> Yep.  RedHat does a much better job of handling source than we
> currently do.

But they pay a heavy price for it.  You can't do anything useful with
a RedHat source package unless you have rpm installed, while anybody
with gunzip, tar and patch can reconstruct a debian source package.
Just like anyone with ar, gunzip, and tar can extract stuff from a
debian binary.

I feel that this is an important and subtle win for us; we don't go
around creating New And Improved(TM) binary formats for their own sake.
More flexibility in how we handle source would be good, but we should
be careful to keep things open.

--Galen