Re: Draft 3 of the homepage is up for evaluation.

Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de> writes:

> So please people: Play it nice!  If the one can no longer express
> her/his opinions on a technical debian list, without being attacked
> immediately, i will be out of here!

Funny, I thought that was what I was doing *and* I was attacked.  :-)

Despite my evidently harsh comments about whining, I had several
technical comments that people seem to have missed.  Since that is the
case, I will rephrase them in the politically correct manner.

 * While we should support everyone, we should optimize for the common
   case.

 * The technical complaint I was responding too was not as severe as
   described -- functionality exists to avoid the problem.

 * Tables are ignored in lynx.  Check out the top page of
   http://www.pathname.com/enya/ for an example.  It looks good in
   Netscape as well as lynx, even with the table.

 * If you are concerned about lynx or other out-of-date web browsers
   that can't support tables or easy browsing, there is room for a
   lynx area on the web pages.  In fact, I think it would be a good
   idea.

By the way, in future mailings, I will use such phrases as "excessive
complaining without intent to directly improve the situation" instead
of "whining".  :-)

(Now, let's see if I get flamed again for this.)

--
Daniel Quinlan (quinlan@pathname.com)   At work (quinlan@transmeta.com)
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/       PGP key available - http or finger