Re: new maintainers

> > I think we need to set some guidelines for accepting new maintainers.

  This new problem is no different than many others, it is the
same patern again: absence of infrastructure and lack of
organization. The same pattern again, Debian has lots to do, yet when
outside help is offered Debian refuses to accept it. Few weeks ago, I proposed
the creation of departments (or call them core-teams) with section leaders.
Core-teams have homepages. They have leaders, who will advertize for job
openings according to their needs and select with their own criteria.
In all matters team leaders have the final word and manage their section
according to the core team culture. No more one culture for all, on more
the same screening for all newcomers, no more all voting for everything, no
more the need to follow every post just to follow whats going on. For in
a mature organization of 200+ this is already impossible. It boils down to
what mankind has known since ancient times: division of labor. Core-teams have
different needs and must be allowed to follow different solutions, its up
to the team leader now, and those who want to remain in his team.

> I think there are probably going to be complaints about Debian becoming
> a closed distribution if the guidelines for accepting new
> maintainers aren't fairly open.

 As a newcomer, my impression is that Debian is a closed distribution.
When the procedures are complicated, when new people are not trained,
when our time is limited, and when only the priests who invented the weapons
are the ones who know them, more and more it looks like Debian is a CLOSED
distribution and plans to remain at that.

> Here are some ideas:
> a) allow new maintainers to upload packages to some site or
> distribution which is labelled as 'provisional'.  Then once a month,
> or so, let the BoD vote on which of those packages constitute the
> most important additions and best packaged packages of those that had
> been uploaded.  If the BoD doesn't want to do this, then maybe some
> other body could do this.

 It took me SIX months to find out that dpkg -b builds packages. After having
the patience to persevere, and after having informed debian-devel about my
intention to package Package_Y, and if when done someone tells me: No!, I
my reaction will be most natural: I will forget not only about developing,
but also all about Debian. That is for sure.

 The flood-gates need to open if debian is to become a top quality product,
for lots must be done. We need to plan things with the eye towards the
day when *everyone* who offers help we say Yes!. We need to brake the
one-solution formula for all. We need a different perspective of looking,
not at a team but at a *large* organization. So, one organization or all the
teams: they  want to take votes among themself, so be it; they want
different rules, they can have them. Most things are up to them.