Re: new maintainers

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Ioannis Tambouras wrote:

>  As a newcomer, my impression is that Debian is a closed distribution.
> When the procedures are complicated, when new people are not trained,
> when our time is limited, and when only the priests who invented the weapons
> are the ones who know them, more and more it looks like Debian is a CLOSED
> distribution and plans to remain at that.

This point of view disturbs me greatly. I am certainly not one of the
"original" team of Debian Developers, but I have been around for a while
now. When I first began working with Debian I made a pest of myself on the
lists and was treated graciously dispite my ignorance. However, I took it
as my responsibility to learn and understand the "system" that was being
used at the time. When the new source format was begun, I contributed my
meager experience to the discussion, but primarily made every attempt to
understand what was being built. Once the format was "defined" I worked to
understand it by converting my packages to the new format. Now, I judge
myself to be a fairly "average" skilled programmer. There are many folks
in this group who have a broader understanding of Linux and Debian. There
are just as many folks who are more inteligent than I am. So why does the
large portion of new developers feel the need to make me and others in the
group (well, someone in the group anyway) responsible for their education?
This seems to me to be an issue of responsibility. Anyone wishing to take
on the responsibilities of a developer must take the responsibility for
their own education. Yes, the docs are horrible (although much better than
they have been in the past) but the information is there, either in docs
or in someones head and sometimes it takes great effort to dig it out, but
that's life.

Luck,

Dwarf