Re: new maintainers

From: Ioannis Tambouras <ioannis@flinet.com>
> The same pattern again, Debian has lots to do, yet when
> outside help is offered Debian refuses to accept it.

If outside help was not accepted you wouldn't be on debian-private,
would you? Can you get admitted to Caldera or Red Hat's internal policy
list?

> Few weeks ago, I proposed the creation of departments (or call them
> core-teams) with section leaders.

And I've been creating them. Sue and the web team have been doing a great
job, you'll see their work soon. I just put someone in charge of the
orphaned software problem. The three ports seem to be self-organizing
teams. I split administration and engineering out of my office and put
department heads in charge of them. I designated a policy officer and
a head for the QA team. I've put your ideas to tremendous use! It's a
good thing you came along when you did.

> on more the same screening for all newcomers

There are a good many people who aren't going to take the need for
screening seriously until something happens, and then we will look very
bad and people will have their systems damaged and they will never trust us
again. I'm trying to avoid that, but I doubt I'll be able to. We need to
know for sure that our maintainers are who they say they are, and we need
to know that the files we distribute come from them. We owe our users that
much management of the tremendous potential for a security problem.
For the good of the project, I doubt I'll be able to move far on that issue.

> It boils down to what mankind has known since ancient times: division of
> labor.

That's a wonderful idea! Just allow me to put a management structure
around this, please. I'd rather see the project grow a bit more slowly
than grow explosively. Too many people get hurt in an explosion.

> As a newcomer, my impression is that Debian is a closed distribution.

Yup. That's why you're on debian-private, 'cause we closed you out. :-)

> It took me SIX months to find out that dpkg -b builds packages.

Is something wrong with the DPKG Developer's Manual? Please contribute
deltas to the authors.

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.