Re: new maintainers

On Mar 19, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote
> Bruce said:
> > I think we need to set some guidelines for accepting new maintainers.
>
> I think there are probably going to be complaints about Debian becoming
> a closed distribution if the guidelines for accepting new maintainers
> aren't fairly open.
>
> Here are some ideas:
> a) allow new maintainers to upload packages to some site or
> distribution which is labelled as 'provisional'.  Then once a month,
> or so, let the BoD vote on which of those packages constitute the
> most important additions and best packaged packages of those that had
> been uploaded.  If the BoD doesn't want to do this, then maybe some
> other body could do this.
>
> b) (this won't save any time, but would limit the number of maintainers).
> If some package is found to egregiously break Debian policies then
> an existing maintainer should lose his privileges.  Some obvious
> flaws which come to mind are: no copyright, no author, or inclusion of
> ITAR software without notification.

In addition to that we should IMHO split our normal stable and
unstable directories in two parts (two new subdirectories). The
first part (maybe all required/standard packages) is a small base
unix system (similar to the FreeBSD base section) and the second
part contains all the other packages. The first part of the
distribution has to tested much more than the second part. And
only trusted maintainers should be allowed to maintain packages
in the first (core) part. New maintainer have to maintain packages
in the second part first.

This way we would have a smaller, better tested core system which
makes it easier for new Debian users to install a basic Debian
system. They could even use small tapes (or even floppy disks)
to get a new Debian base system (not everyone wants to buy a
new Debian CD-ROM each time a new Debian release has been made).
And a small base distribution created by trusted maintainers
is IMHO a good protection against trojan horses and so on.

Thanks,

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de