Re: new maintainers

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> "probationary" period. Then, once I was a "trusted" member of the group, I
> would be free to deliver whatever nasties I wanted.

	That's right *evil grin* [1] ;)

> In this reguard, what we need is a continuous, general, practice of
> "checking in" package updates. Maybe we can require that all packages be
> reviewed by a second developer before they can move from "unstable" into
> "stable". Thus if a particular maintainer maintains 4 packages, he/she
> should be assigned 4 other packages to "verify" as part of their
> responsibilities.

	This has already been proposed by Lars Wirzenius a while ago, and
I'd like to implement it someday. However by now we have ~50 orphaned
packages (probably more we don't know yet), so as long as we don't have
enough packagers, I don't think it's wise to call for "verifiers". A
packager who also have to verify other packages will have less time for
his own packages thus leading to eventual new orphaned packages (IMHO of
course).

> The problem with this is that you can't determine intent from such simple
> actions. People are falible and make simple mistakes. If I forget to
> include a copyright, or don't notice ITAR software in the package, I'm
> simply mistaken, not malicious.

	This kind of thing can also happen from someone who is not an
English native and misundertand a copyright notice.

> This is not a simple problem, but I don't think we can solve it with
> behaviors that treat "new" maintainers as more suspect than folks already
> here. Whatever practices that we institute, they must impact current
> maintainers in the same fashion that they impact new folks.

	Agreed.

		Cordialement,

[1] : Now let's see if I get more bug reports this week. _(;

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -