Re: new maintainers

On Mar 20, Vincent Renardias wrote
> On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Peter Tobias wrote:
>
> > In addition to that we should IMHO split our normal stable and
> > unstable directories in two parts (two new subdirectories). The
> > first part (maybe all required/standard packages) is a small base
> > unix system (similar to the FreeBSD base section) and the second
> > part contains all the other packages. The first part of the
> > distribution has to tested much more than the second part. And
> > only trusted maintainers should be allowed to maintain packages
> > in the first (core) part. New maintainer have to maintain packages
> > in the second part first.
>
> I disagree for 2 reasons (I don't disagree on the problem, I disagree on
> the proposed fix):
>
> a) The current situation is already pretty much the one you want to
> achieve, that is the "core" distribution has been separed in the "base"
> directory. Also looking at who maintains the packages there, all are
> "Debian old-timers" (Ok, me excepted ;)
> W.r.t. the testing issue this is on the way. Subscribe to
> <debian-qa@lists.debian.org> if you're interested.

That's not what I meant. The core system should be more than the
base system (please look at FreeBSD to understand what I mean).
It should include tools like gcc, yacc, lex, awk, only one MTA,
only one MUA awk, perl and maybe some other tools like lynx,
minicom sz/rz. Just a small system that allows you to do some basic
network and modem communication and simple development things (C,
perl ...). This system would also be great for simple Linux server
systems (webserver, router, ftp server, firewall ...). Just install
the additional server and you have a complete system. You could
install such a core system by selecting a single menu option.
Remember that a lot of people say that Debian is hard to install.
With the change mentioned above it would be much simpler (especially
for small installations). People installing the core system wouldn't
probably even see the conflict resolution screen of dselect.

> b) I don't like the idea to have 1st rank maintainers and second rank
> maintainers. (Revolutions often happen for less than this ;).

I don't agree. Remember that it is quite likely that the more
popular packages are _not_ in the core system and that the
requirements for the maintainer of a core package (I don't use
the term "core maintainer" ...) are higher (bugs should be fixed
within a given time, all fixable bugs have to be fixed before a
new release). The maintainer of a core package has probably
more work to do than a non-core package maintainer but that's
the only difference.

Thanks,

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de