Re: new maintainers

On Mar 23, bruce@debian.novare.net wrote
> The part that seems to be intolerable to me is that I can not, in all honesty,
> tell someone that I know who the programs in Debian came from.
> That's where we will _lose_trust_ in comparison to the closed systems like
> Caldera and Red Hat and the _really_ closed systems like NT. It will take
> only one catastrophe to make it clear to the world that Linux can't
> be trusted, and I can not stop that catostrophe whatever I do. I can only
> show others that I have taken reasonable steps to avoid it for Debian.

This is one of the major stumbling blocks I have getting Debian in at
BNL. The fact that it is run and developed by volunteers with no
real QC and validation scares people off. Linux is being used to
run Beamline experiments (as controllers and data collection), and
as departmental servers, but RH seems to be the bulk of the systems used
*because* it's commercial. There is someone accountable if a problem
like a trojan shows up.

Tim