Re: Open letter to Martin Schulze

On 26 Mar 1997, Super-User wrote:

> From: Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>
> > Seconded.  Is it your intent, Martin,  to sh*t on Bruce until you
> > guarantee his resignation?
>
> Hm. Do you think this could be a deliberate effort? I am beginning to wonder
> if there's one clique who just won't stop until they own the system. Why
> is it so important to keep everything - the mailing lists, the FTP archives,
> and the DNS database on one site, anyway? Maybe it's that it's easier for
> someone to _control_ there.

Who knows?

It's supposedly important to keep everything on one site, but "This for
sure is the best argument for a multinational team of mailinglist
administrators?  So why should all of the lists be kept in _one_ hand by
_one_ institution? " (Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 00:31:22 +0100
From: Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE>).

I HATE conflicting greivances.  I hate them, I hate them, I hate them.

There's been some delegation of control over time, but there have been
some benefits, IMHO.  I have the time that perhaps Bruce didn't to focus
on maintaining the lists.  AFAIK, NO ONE has responded to my post to
debian-devel about hot-site backup issues for the mailing lists, not even
the verbal "Joey".  Given what Bruce has mentioned about the workload at
i-connect, I'm not surprised that Mike Neuffer has quieted down about the
lists...hopefully he's happy that they're getting some attention and some
backup.  (Mike, NOTHING against you.  I'm merely amazed at the /etc/fstab
that makes up master.debian.org.  I'm glad I don't need to worry about so
many different disks...)

I'm so wired right now that I can't figure out what's best to say.  So
I'll zip it for a bit.

If it would make any damn difference, I just successfully implemented md
with a pair of 3.1G drives.  If you want, I'll host the damned backup
site.

Okay?

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590