Re: hot-site backup for master.debian.org

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:59:39 +0100 Martin Schulze (joey@debian.org)
> wrote:
>
> > Normally I don't bet, but this time I'm 200% sure that the next step is
> > clear.  I would be happy if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that.
>
> Could we hear a little bit of the supposed Bruce conspiracy ?
> What is it about ?
> How did it start ?
> What makes you think there's a conspiracy ?

yes, i'd like to hear exactly what is the problem.

what is so bad that it requires continuous flaming on the lists?

debian's been becoming less and less 'fun' over the last few months,
especially the last few weeks....and that is almost entirely due to
the continuous flames and faction fighting.

factions in debian are pointless anyway - debian is free. if it's not
going the way YOU want, then take it as is and make a new distribution
based on it. there's nothing stopping anyone from doing that. If I
wanted or needed to do it then I could....and nothing that bruce or
anyone else could do or say would be able to stop me. Same goes for
everyone else - debian developer or user or not. Only trouble is that
then you'd have to maintain most of the packages yourself (or fold
them in from the main debian distribution manually).....but if Patrick
Volkerding can do that with slackware without a decent packaging tool,
then it should be much easier for anyone else to do it with the debian
tools.

IMO, the ideal 'management structure' is what we had before: a
benevolent dictatorship over a bunch of dissident anarchists.

what most people don't realise is that real democracy is based
in the individual right to say "No", not in the act of electing
representatives. if a leader tries to lead where nobody will follow then
(s)he'll end up back-pedalling real fast. if where (s)he was leading
made sense to enough people then it would happen, but not otherwise.
This is what we had last year and it worked fine.

Bruce: Herding cats is easy if you're leading them to smoked trout :-)

craig