Re: hot-site backup for master.debian.org

> On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:59:39 +0100 Martin Schulze (joey@debian.org)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Normally I don't bet, but this time I'm 200% sure that the next step is
> > > clear.  I would be happy if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that.
> >
> > Could we hear a little bit of the supposed Bruce conspiracy ?
> > What is it about ?
> > How did it start ?
> > What makes you think there's a conspiracy ?
>
> yes, i'd like to hear exactly what is the problem.

Me too!!

> what is so bad that it requires continuous flaming on the lists?
>
> debian's been becoming less and less 'fun' over the last few months,

well, I stopped following the flame-wars altogether, and for me
debian hasn't changed much :). I still like it.

> factions in debian are pointless anyway - debian is free. if it's not
> going the way YOU want, then take it as is and make a new distribution
> based on it.

I like that. So, effectively we _have_ a democracy: If a majority
of maintainers/users dislike Bruce, they should just group together
and form a new distribution. So, as long as no such other distribution
exists, we (debian users/maintainers) have democratically decided to
endorce Bruce. Maybe we should start by setting up a few
anarchy@lists.debian.org lists, for people to discuss their ideas, so
that I can start reading the ordinary mailinglists again?

> IMO, the ideal 'management structure' is what we had before: a
> benevolent dictatorship over a bunch of dissident anarchists.

Yes, I agree.

Also, I think the term dictatorship (let alone tyrant) is simply wrong:
a dictator is somebody who puts barbed wire around his country,
has secret police to check on the opinons of his "cats". In this case,
anyone is free to leave or voice his/her opinions (but please, not
on the ordinary mailinglists!).

> Bruce: Herding cats is easy if you're leading them to smoked trout :-)

Could we maybe lead the flamers to that other OS (something-95 or 97 I
believe)? Seems to work for loads of other people.

--
joost witteveen     joostje@debian.org

I came, I saw, ..., well, it wasn't free so I left again. (LUA, 1988)