Re: hot-site backup for master.debian.org

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, joost witteveen wrote:

> > factions in debian are pointless anyway - debian is free. if it's not
> > going the way YOU want, then take it as is and make a new distribution
> > based on it.
>
> I like that. So, effectively we _have_ a democracy: If a majority
> of maintainers/users dislike Bruce, they should just group together
> and form a new distribution.

yes, that's what i meant when i said that real democracy is based in
the right to say "No". Debian's a voluntary thing...there are no armed
guards forcing us to work on it, so if we don't like it we are at
perfect liberty to leave.

IMO democracy is essential in non-voluntary associations (like
countries) but superfluous and obstructive in voluntary groups.

> Yes, I agree.
>
> Also, I think the term dictatorship (let alone tyrant) is simply wrong:
> a dictator is somebody who puts barbed wire around his country,
> has secret police to check on the opinons of his "cats". In this case,
> anyone is free to leave or voice his/her opinions (but please, not
> on the ordinary mailinglists!).

not quite. a dictator is someone who dictates the rules. this doesn't
have to be accompanied by secret police and barbed wire, and it doesn't
have to be involuntary - if we choose to have a dictator for project
leader then we are choosing to accept his/her decisions by default and
only dissent about the things we really care strongly about.

whatever we choose, i think our leaders should have ridiculous/silly
titles. I really dislike the term "President" (mostly because people in
the U.S. deify their Presidents)...i'd rather see a title like "Grand
Vizier" or "Lord Pointy-head" or something equally silly.

craig