Re: voting system

> Voting is just a tool for deciding certain things fairly (like
> elections) and getting feedback on peoples feelings about issues.
> When relied on too heavily in an organization such as ours, it
> simply turns into a means of shutting up the minority.
> Most issues should be decided as in the past - by consensus.
                                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Most certainly not!

 And you must not be offended, my fellow Debians, for I am speaking out of
good-will towards you, if I ask whether you wish to delibarate and vote on
issues of medicine or rather heed to the advice of the doctor. Or,
when it is time to build our houses, on taking consensus among ourselves
on how to do build the roof rather than follow the advice of the builder. Or,
on issues of the greatest importance for Debian, subscribe to the opinions
of the many rather than let professional managers govern.

 Is it not always true that there is an art in everything that we do and only
those with know-how their advice should be followed. For on each
subject the advice comes from the one who knows, and not from the many.
Let only those with prooven experience govern and never mind the rest.

 For this reason I ask that if any voting is taken the results should
never be published.

--
Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida