Re: A solution?

I also joined Debian long enough ago to remember how well things
worked under Ian M.  The success wasn't due to any magical powers but
because all the developers were working toward a common goal: to make
Debian the best U*ix distribution available.

I've observed the actions of various developers and my feelings have
progressed from surprise to sadness to disgust.  I sincerely believe
that the fun will come back to Debian if we all remind ourselves why
we're spending countless hours on it - achieving technical excellence.

I agree with all that Peter proposed.  What Peter didn't explicitly
write is that the entire purpose of the board needs to be changed.
The board's function seems to become more and more amorphous every
day.  Bruce is entrusted with "day-to-day operations" and the board
writes a mysterious constitution.  What's in it?  Nobody knows.
Feelings of disenfranchisement arise and conspiracy theories abound.

The board's purpose, as our elected representatives, is simply to make
final decisions on technical and sometimes non-technical matters after
developer-wide discussion.  The board's current size is fine.  More
members would lessen each individual's power and subsequently
responsibility.  Terms should be short enough that a firm time
committal can be made.

A dissolution of the board by others (in effect, a coup), sets a nasty
precedence, so I would hope that the board members make concrete
actions to enact the above and make them now.

This seems almost banal, but I'd also like everybody to always use
respect and politeness when writing to other Debian developers.

Guy