Re: A solution?

>    - board members who have positions like vize-president and
>      so on resign from this position too but stay on the board
>      so we don't get a big hierarchy but a flat system where
>      we have the board and the developers (and of course the
>      users).
>    - we DON'T elect a new president and other positions like
>      that. IMHO we don't need them.
>    - decisions should be made by the members of the board by
>      vote (the board is the democratic representation of the
>      Debian developers/community).

This is fine for matters of policy, but you need to have a group
of people that actually get things done.  Removing the existing
hierarchy will only leave people not knowing who is doing what.

>    - the board assigns officers for specials tasks (for example
>      the webserver) and gives them limited power to decide
>      some things (the board can overrule the officer by decision)

A few disjoint positions is not likely to work out very well.
There are just too many things to coordinate and you can't go through
a committee to get things done.

>    - the board should maybe have 2 or 4 more members (I'm not
>      sure about that)

Given the difficulties deciding things now, I would prefer 2 to 4
fewer members.

>    - elections for the board should be held every 6 months.
>      6 months is a long time. A short period makes it easier
>      ensure that there won't be arrangements between the board
>      members which would lead to a "one person decides" situation.

6 months is not a long time.  The current board has already been
sitting for 2.  Having elections that often will simply reduce the
amount of time available to do real work.

> Advantages of this proposal:
> - no decisions are made by a single person

Not true.  Even in your examples, the "web page manager" would be
making decisions.

Rule by committee doesn't work.

> - it would allow us to make decisions faster

A group of people is always slower than a hierarchy which in turn
is always slower than a single person.

> - we probably have more fun working for Debian again

I don't think the two have to be interdependant.

> Disadvantages of this proposal:
> - Bruce and Dan would lose their titles "president" and
>   "vize-president"

And me, though I don't care about the title.  I'm more worried that
things would stop getting done again.

No situation is perfect.  I think the current setup is quite good if
people would stop bickering and complaining and just try to work
together.  We are all on the same side, here.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

if you have a 50% chance of guessing right,you will guess wrong 75% of the time