Re: A solution?

On Mar 26, Manoj Srivastava wrote
> 	I'm afraid that I don't reasonably see this working. I have
>  rarely seen decisions by committee to be either efficient, timely, or
>  good, there is too much politicking, and this compromises
>  quality. INHO, only in cases that a bad dictator would be an
>  unmitigated disaster (like governing a country) should one descend to
>  sheer democracy (look at succesful businesses, and armies;).

It does work. I was involved in quite a few project the last years.
Two of them had a leader. We had massive problems with both of them
(we only finished one of them). Three other projects used a small
group of leaders/officers (or whatever you want to call them). They
worked quite well. Even in the big project (about 50 people) a group
of 5 "leading" people elected by all members of the project worked
without any major problems (and we had quite a few different views
on some topics).

> 	Thirdly, you can't have effective officers unless they have
>  the power to implement their decisions. (Sun Tzu: The ruler should
>  mandate an military objective and step out of the way, the nation
>  that micromanages a war shall loose). Second guessing an officer is
>  worse than not having any, and effects the morale of the troops as
>  well.

They need limited power. For example the person who is responsible for
our development ftp site should be able to do with the ftp server
whatever he thinks is necessary as long as it doesn't have a major
negative effect on other peoples work. For example he shouldn't be
allowed to remove for example the experimental tree or do major
rearrangements without a decision by the board.

> 	I think we need a person to be the final arbiter; preferably
>  one who does not throw his/her weight around, one who asks for
>  user input, and is only evident when a deadlock ensues. A general who
>  must keep the morale of the troops up, and who lets officers and
>  nco's display initiative, who leads rather than flogs us into line.

This doesn't mean that this person has to make "single" decisions.
He could do the tasks you mentioned just from his position on the
board (call it the speaker of the board or something like that).

Thanks,

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de