Re: Who didn't respect privacy?

From: Richard Jones <richard@a42.deep-thought.org>
> The line "in preperation for certain parties spilling onto net news" reeks of
> pure paranoia to me, and is an indication that Joey et al. are justified in
> attributing machiavellian intentions to you.

You think that's not going to happen? I'd be happy to make a bet with you
just so that you'd watch the outcome. I sincerely hope you win such a bet.
The situation seems too inflamatory to me - we're going to spin off people,
as we already have, and those people will talk. How could they not?

One of the problems of a distribution with close to 200 participants is
that there are a good many members who pop up once in a while and you
don't know who they are. In this case I know that you are the
maintainer of the anagram generator and that's about all I know. I
don't mean to offend, but I'm not sure how I should count your opinion.
I think that's part of the problem. The "good old days" of the project
were those when the developer count was between 60 and 100. We had
arguments then, and people left, but there was no question what
direction we were going in.  With 150 package maintainers and something
like 200 participants, it's impossible to have a coherent direction for
the entire group, and the governing body is reduced to finding the
_vector_sum_ of the membership.

Regarding your support or lack thereof, should I feel bad that I don't have
it? I have the support of the creator of Debian and many of the best
developers, though certainly not all of them. I could take a number of them
off elsewhere to continue the system with a smaller team in the spirit of the
earlier times of the project. That would be bad for "Big Debian", but I'm not
sure it would be bad for Debian.

More and more I wonder if it's possible, or even desirable, to keep 200
people happy and moving in one direction in a project like ours. The
coherence of the developer vote will tell me a lot about that.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.