Re: Please don't condemn Novare for the FreeOS logo

From: Siggy Brentrup <bsb@debian.org>
> I'd really like to see you comment on my 2nd paragraph
> concerning your public article. (see References:). The part
> on novare was only a preliminary attempt to explain what lead
> to Joey's cynism.

OK. Going back to references...

> Nevertheless I think you should have omitted the part on maintainers
> leaving the project "in a huff" (had to look that up in a dictionary)
> in your article in debian-announce and c.o.l.misc.

OK - maybe it was a bad call. Such things happen.

> Maybe agressive marketing strategies like their's are the way to go in the
> U.S.

I haven't spent any time on a FreeOS-style marketing plan since their proposal
was made. What would make you think that one person submitting an idea would
make me or anyone else in Debian leadership embrace it?

I still see a tremendous over-reaction here. Nobody considered any of the
proposals on the logo page to be sinister plans to pervert Debian. Ean and
Novare have not pursued that logo since it was so violently put down by the
developers - I haven't heard a thing about it from them. As far as I can tell
they just want to put something back into Debian for the use they have gotten
out of it. I sincerely thing you are not being fair to them.

> I'm not objecting making money from Debian

Did you have the impression that making money from Debian was important
to me? I'm not sure I understand where this is coming from. It is not
cost-effective for me to do anything but movie work for the next
several years, maybe longer if our next movies are all successful - a
business like "Linux for Hams" would be only a hobby and a small tax
write-off for my equipment. Maybe I just don't understand the statement.

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.