Re: Who didn't respect privacy?

From: Richard Jones <richard@a42.deep-thought.org>
> Well yes, I did think it might not happen, but now it has, do you mind
> iterating what you were hoping to gain from posting to news other than a
> "pre-emptive" strike.

I wanted the first hint of trouble and re-organization in the project to
be from a calm voice explaining what the problem was (our size, mostly).

> so I'm not sure what response your post has received yet).

Someone posted that it must be a forgery, and later retracted that posting.
Otherwise it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. This is _not_ what I expected.
Maybe it _was_ a bad call.

> Its also impossible to run an entire group when one vector has by far
> the largest magnitude, if that vector deviates in direction greatly
> from the other "little" vectors disatisfaction will occur.

Right! You'll note my efforts to figure out where the developers want to
go today :-) . If they and I are not going in the same direction there is
little sense in my hanging around. We'll see how the vote comes out.

> Hmmm, making value judgements such as "Best developers", seems a little askew
> to me

Obviously it's based on my personal opinions.

> To abuse an analogy, if the maintainer of glibc told you to sell Debian
> to microsoft, but the maintainer of the crappy anagram generator
> thought this was a bad idea, the glibc maintainer being of greater
> merit would be given more weight irrespective of cogency of his
> argument?

I would like to hear more than two people's opinions, of course. Then I'd
weigh them all and make my own decision. And sometimes the "little guys"
surprise me with their ideas or the quality of their work. However, we're
not talking about selling to MS but my role in the project and its
organization. In this area I'd put more weight on the opinions of the people
I have worked with longest, who have seen the project go through different
management.

> IMO posting internal debian disputes to external public newsgroups is a
> decision making little sense.

Recent history is that disputes have leaked out. Yeah, I wanted to get there
first. Maybe it was a mistake.

> however I think recent moves by you have been ill advised to say the least.

I'm willing to agree with you on that. I predicted growing pains for the
project, and I am still casting about trying to find its proper organization.
During this process big mistakes will be made. I doubt it could be otherwise.

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.