Same Name (was: Re: prototype questions for developer vote)

dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz)  wrote on 28.03.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.95.970328112027.8810H-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>:

> On 28 Mar 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
>
> > "Susan G. Kleinmann" <sgk@kleinmann.com> writes:
> >
> > > 1.  Sue Campbell goes by the name of Sue.  I go by the name of Susan.
> > >     People have already mixed us up, (i.e., people sending me messages
> > >     meant for Sue, etc.)  Therefore, please refer to each of us by the
> > >     names we use ourselves.  I think I'm the one who said I'd put time
> > >     into vote-collection (not Sue).
> >
> > Actually I was talking about how to implement the voting system with
> > Sue in private email, so there is no mixup in this case.
> >
> Do we have more than two females in the group? What's the collision
> probability on a thing like this? If the third woman to join the group is
> also a Sue/Susan, Debian will have a very remarkable distinguishing
> characteristic ;-)

Back in that BBS net, there was a piece of Amiga client software (well,
still is, I guess) called "UMS", for "Universal Message System", IIRC. It
was fast nicknamed "Universal Martin System", though, for - you guessed it
- it was written and betatested by something like three or six guys, all
named "Martin something".

Stuff like this happens. The probability is higher than you'd expect.

I don't remember any hard numbers, but I do remember that in a class of
say 30 people, you have a fairly good chance that two of them have the
same birthday - *much* better than one in ten, which is what you'd naively
expect.

MfG Kai

PS. Since gender-neutral names came up, and I know there have been both
boys and girls with mine, just to clear it up for people that haven't
bothered to look on my home page (which isn't that interesting anyway):
yes, I'm of the gender usually associated with beards.

--
Internet: kai@khms.westfalen.de
Bang: major_backbone!khms.westfalen.de!kai