Re: on to-do lists

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

> Bruce said:
> > It's a good point that the bug list can be considered a to-do list
> > with 2000 entires. It is, however, a _reactive_ list. We need a
> > _proactive_ list as well.
>
> I strongly agree.  Sven's "Work Needing" did that job with respect to
> whole packages, but there are issues which fall into the area of
> improvements on current packages which aren't bugs, and which may
> not have been reported because (for example) only the maintainer knows
> about them.  These could (perhaps, should) be listed in the package's
> TODO list.  (If there's a policy _requiring_ a TODO list, then I'm unaware
> of it, and in any case, I don't know how testers could be expected to
> verify its accuracy.)

AFAIK, the current policy does not require TODO lists, however this might
be a good idea.

> So here's a suggestion:  create a publicly accessible "ToDo" list similar
> to the Bug List.  This could be seeded with the "Work Needing" list, and
> that would take some burden off of Sven.  It might even clarify the Bug List
> and make it seem somewhat more manageable, by limiting it only to items
> which render the packages non-functional to some degree.

I agree. We might even move some "feature request bugs" from the bug
tracking system to the todo list.

> P.S.  Shall we continue this on debian-devel?

Agreed. I moved this thread to debian-devel. Hope everyone agrees :-)

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/