AW: Splitting Debian into two projects

I cannot believe what's going on. I went on vacation a while ago and no
I come back and have hundreds of email about this political stuff. Argh.

In general I agree with Peter in that I understand both sides.However,
splitting th eproject is a bad idea IMO.

I tried to keep away from this topic, but after reading almost
everything it seems I have to add some remarks.

Bruce wrote:
>One problem is that running a democratic organization it's very difficult
>to simply tell someone to shut up and make it stick. I think that sometimes
>we really need to do that.

I doubt we need that, sorry.

>I think we have to go deeper than this. For example Simon Shapiro told
>me today (actually, he was threatening to sue me) that he thought I wanted
>to take over free software in order to make money. This seems to be the
>conspiracy theory that's going around. It's just nutty, but we have to
>get it out of people's heads or get the people where they won't bother
>others.

Now that citation has to be set straight. Personally I don't see the
threat in this sentence by Simon:

You try to take it [the Debian software] over and you will find either a
law
suite on your door step or just a complete ignoring.

Also there is no word in Simon's mail about you taking over free
software IN ORDER TO MAKE MONEY. I read Simon's mail several times
without finding anything.

Finally you should also tell the world that Simon predicted you
behaviour correctly, you put him into a group of non-trust-worthy
members. But it's tough for me to justify trusting you anymore, at least
if it is true that you posted this message to news:

-----Forwarded message from bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)-----

| I'm going to call a halt to the Debian development for at least a week
| while the project re-organizes. At the end of that time the master FTP
| site will have moved, our DNS master will be different, and no doubt a
| number of developers will walk off in a huff.

This really hurts the project.

Trying to esacpe another boss (other than my real life boss and my wife
:-)) was one of the reasons I voted against the FSF merger a while ago,
and I thought you were thinking along the same lines.

Well now it's starting to get interesting. While I honestly believe my
words are not much of a problem, I wonder if some prognosis I read are
correct and I'll be dismissed, too.

A very sad
Michael