Re: New Web Pages are out

 [Moving this to debian-www since sue asked the discussions moved there]
Hi,
>>"Nicolás" == Nicolás Lichtmaier <nick@Feedback.com.ar> writes:

Nicolás> On 2 Apr 1997, Mark Eichin wrote:

Mark Anyway, I don't particularly care what the debian web pages look
Mark like (I'm *more* than happy to leave that to the self-selected
Mark group, as long as I can still get to the buglist I'm fine) but I
Mark wanted to stamp out the false justification here... there may be
Mark good reasons to use white like this -- but *this isn't it* :-)

Nicolás> First we should agree that most of the people even don't know
Nicolás> that the default can be changed. Even if they know, very few
Nicolás> change it. Let's say that 90% have grey as the
Nicolás> default. However that doesn't mean that they like grey as a
Nicolás> background. So we should forget about this feature in
Nicolás> browsers, we should set/enforce the color.

	Oh, I see. So for 90% of the people who don't care enough to
 learn how to use their tools, and who have an *OK* backgroud and
 foreground color choices (IMHO, netscape has the options menu right
 there staring you in the face), you want to impose the colors in a
 fashion that make it impossible for anyone to override (unless we
 over-ride all such color choices, even where there is a reason?)?
 and the only justification seems to be a whim, at best. (Our pages
 look quite nice under the default colors, thank you.

	This is rude.

	At least use cascading style sheets, so I have more of a
 choice.

Nicolás> Second: If you are publishing an ad about Debian in a
Nicolás> magazine... which color would you use as a background...?
Nicolás> Would it be gray?

	Oh, please. There *is* a modicum of difference between an SGML
 language and a magazine. Are we presenting a magazine, then, rather
 than information about Debian? Why do we need a white background to
 convey that information? Where is the study that says white *is* to
 be preffered anyway? (I think light blue hurts peoples eyes less, and
 at least that has some reason behind it rather than just -- But ... I
 *like8 white).

Nicolás> Forget about all you know about HTML, browsers, etc. which
Nicolás> color should we use as a background? I think that white is
Nicolás> nicer that gray. And many woul probably say the
Nicolás> same. (Personally I use white on dark blue for my pages =))

	So? I use #28f033330000 on  #bffffffffc00. So what? Why are we
 ignoring peoples setting just because *we* happen to like white?

	Manoj
 procastinating doing his taxes

--
 "Don't worry about things that you have no control over, because you
 have no control over them.  Don't worry about things that you have