Re: THOUGHT: New 'user-contributed' section?

> I have said it before and i will say it again - upgrading regularly from
> unstable leads to far less problems than waiting for the next official
> release. Not only are there less problems overall, but you get less of
> them at any one time.

that's why we will have a tested distribution:
less bugs, but nearly up-to-date.

> allowing anyone to upload leaves the system wide open. The ease of
> subverting the system will invite attacks...it will be an inevitable
> certainty rather than just a possibility.

user-contrib should have a status equal to unstable, to should be
seperate. this way everone knows : "it was packaged by a user, maybe
insecure", but testers and developers can look at it, and move it to
unstable / tested.

> my point was that if unstable is unusable because of the potential for
> trojans then i will have lost the ability to upgrade at will. Tracking
> unstable with dselect (either via ftp method or from a local mirror) is
> IMO the most important 'feature' of debian.

ok, in future you will track tested on most machines, not unstable.

regards andreas