Re: debian-publicity@lists.debian.org

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 28.04.97 in <m0wLzwd-00IdTVC@golem.pixar.com>:

> For now any old logo will do. For the future, I'd like to see a logo
> for "Debian GNU/Linux: The Universal Operating System". Perhaps something
> with a spiral galaxy, or a spiral galaxy popping out of the face of a CRT.

I still like my idea - I just am not very good at actually drawing it.

IMHO, the most important part of Debian is the package system, and this
should be represented in the logo. Also, we may want to be able to make
variations if later on, we possibly have other combinations - saym a
Debian for Hurd, or for BSD, or ...

So, my idea was to first have about three cubes ("building blocks"), and
on those cubes, have (possibly stylized) a gnu, a penguin, and perhaps the
X logo (or some other combination representing the diverse software in the
distribution). For other distributions, change these. For a very small
logo, or for a generalized logo if we have different variations, drop the
pictures alltogether and only have the cubes.

And of course, add whatever text is appropriate to what you use the logo
for. The text isn't part of the logo, though - see, for example, the (old
or new) Novell logo, or the Netscape logo, or the Windows logo.

Oh, yes. White background, white cube faces, black cube borders. Whatever
the original colors of the pictures on the cube are (except they also have
white background), with the possibility of reducing all the colors to
white and black (and, if abyolutely necessary, _one_ shade of grey) if
needed.

MfG Kai