Re: contrib, non-free and policy doubts

On May 27, Enrique Zanardi wrote
> but AFAIK, packages where only compiled binaries can be distributed (no
> source code is available) are far from being free, and they should go in
> non-free.

nope. "non-free" is not a good name. what meant is : anything you may
not put on cdrom get's into "non-free". anything you may not export
from/in the usa gets into "non-US". anything else (beside goot packages)
gets into contrib, even if its' crippleware, commercial software, only
binaries available, or whatever the flaw is.

> We should clarify this again, because there are a lot of packages living
> in the wrong section, no matter which of the past or current versions of
> the policy manual we apply, and it would be nice to know which of them
> must be moved.

the names "non-free" and "contrib" aren't perfekt. "non-cdrom" and
"with-other-flaws" might better show what it means, but it's historic
and we cannot change these names.

regards, andreas