Re: FreeLinux project

On May 27, Bruce Perens wrote
> Check out http://www.freelinux.org/ . It looks as if Mike Neuffer and
> Dominik Kubla, and perhaps others, are branching out to form their own
> free Linux distribution.

i talked to them at the linux kongress. as far as i understand them,
they will not provide a distribution, but cary all essential packages in
a cvs tree, in a way they can compile the whole system with a
"make world", like bsd does. their goal is to create a very basic linux
system, for all platforms. they are not our competitors, they are doing
something, that will help debian. when their project is finished / up
and running, we can take their basic system and create debian packages
out of it. this should all distributions do.

the core linux system shouldn't differ, no matter what distribution you
use. but currently even the core system differs from distribution to
distribution and from plattform to plattform. their intend (AFAIK) is to
stop this. i like this goal, and the way their are planing to work.

> Debian policy is to ignore this. There will be no flame wars, no public
> communication on the topic by anyone _representing_Debian_ except me.
> If they want to split off their own project that is their right and we
> will do nothing to stop them.

as for me : maybe i can help tham and they can help me. i will watch
what they are doing, and if they develop good systems, like a source
tree where you can compile everything with a "make world" or other
things, then it will be time to look if debian can profit from their
work and integrate it.

i don't think, that they are starting a new distribution. there already
more than enough distributions and one more would not help. AFAIK they
are working on new ways, that can be used by distributions, and that
should unify unix systems. linux systems shouldn't differ that much from
one to another, but that is current reality. debian and redhat or suse
or slackware or caldera or whatever - maybe they nearly differ as much
as two commercial unixes.

yust my 0.02 $

regards, andreas