Re: RFC: Debian Service Team

From: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
> In general, moving packages from hamm to bo is a very bad idea. Asside
> from the fact that hamm is intended to use libc6 while bo is still libc5
> means that your additional team of volunteers are going to need to be
> ready to build, from source, packages on a bo system which include patches
> from the hamm package. This effort is additionally complicated when the
> package in question depends on package in hamm not found in bo. This can
> quickly turn into "porting hamm to bo".

One good reason to have a service team for 1.3 is that 2.0 might take a
while to get done, and the source will diverge somewhat from the LIBC5
versions of programs. However, I do see problems - for example we would
have to be careful to keep the dependency hierarchy straight so that an
upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0 would not present problems. This requires some
policy but is not a big deal.

I think this is a good idea for the 1.3 to 2.0 transition. I'm not sure
it is necessary for 2.0 to 2.1, etc.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
--