About the FreeLinux project

Mike, Dominik, and company,

It's pretty clear to me by now from consultation with others who have
been clued in on your project that your intent is to provide a base
system for all Linux distributions. I feel that your present course of
action would indeed hurt Debian, as one of the main, though
so-far-unrealized, reasons for Debian has been to provide a free base
for Linux.

I think it would be better for all concerned to bring the FreeLinux
project, and the individuals affiliated with it, back into the Debian
fold. I've done everything I can to address the personal issues - I've
apologized repeatedly, and I even held the vote that Dominik
requested. Personal reasons should not be holding you back at this
point.

Thus, I propose that FreeLinux officially affiliate with Debian. This
will give you our support, a large number of developers, and access to
all of our resources and good will. It will ensure that your project
succeeds. In return, we would need you to couple tightly with the base
system maintainers, so that Debian packages and the CVS tree you
maintain remain synchronized. It would most likely be appropriate for
you to give Debian package maintainers the authority to commit or reject
deltas for the files in their packages.

I'd like to have some sort of reply to this by Monday, please.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.