Re: really rough first draft of release announcement

Bruce Perens:
>    * This is the Linux distribution that recently orbited on the U.S. Space
>      Shuttle. Two more Debian space missions are already scheduled!
>    * 100% Free software! Our goal is to keep Linux free!
>    * NEW: Anyone can duplicate and sell our Official CD, with no fee from us!
>    * NEW: The largest pre-release testing program in the Linux world means
>      fewer bugs, fixed more quickly!
>    * NEW: Floppy-less install directly from CD, one-floppy install using NFS
>       or hard disk!
>    * 974 entirely free software packages. The largest Linux distribution!
>    * 200 developers! Largest staff of any Linux distribution!
>    * Compatible with RPM and Slackware packages!
>    * We are a non-profit organization!

Do you think we could lose most of the exclimation points here? When I see
this many exclimation points, I just feel something is being over-hyped.

> We were the first to provide automatic conversion
> of package types using the "alien" program. RPM and Slackware packages
> can be converted to Debian packages, and I understand there is a Debian
> to RPM converter as well.

Alien can convert both ways now. The debian -> rpm converter has been
integrated into alien. However, the version of alien in Bo was released
before this new functionality was added. So it would be more accurate to say
that we have alien that can do rpm and slackware -> deb conversion, and an
upgrade is avaliable in unstable that can convert deb and slackware -> rpm.
(Or you can just cut the last clause about conversion to rpm.)

--
see shy jo