Re: really rough first draft of release announcement

Too many exclamation points!!!!

It could be a bit shorter.

I'd cut out the bit about the shuttle - it's cool, but I don't think
people will consider it particularily relevant.

Mention "alien", but don't dwell so much on it.

Mention that requests for help on debian-user almost always get answered
within minutes - usually with positive results.  Actually, our
user community is probably the best thing about Debian.

List which languages Debian is being internationalized for.

The "Dpkg programmer's manual" is now the "Debian Packaging Manual".
I don't really see the point of mentioning these though.

"KEEPING LINUX FREE" sounds too much like we're accusing the other
distributions of being proprietary.  Perhaps we should emphasize that
we have the largest code-base of free software of any distribution
(at least I think we do).

The theme of this release should be "reliability, testing" - in my
conversations with non-Linux people who are thinking of trying Linux,
this is probably their #1 concern.  Ease of installation is another
big one.  Third-party support is also important - you might want to
quickly collect a list of consultants that are willing to provide
paid support (mark me down as one).

Mention that it can be easily installed, and upgraded, directly off
the Internet via dpkg-ftp.

You forgot the "bug system" - Red Hat doesn't have one.

I'd like it if we could somehow convince the developer community that
is creating "contrib RPM's" for Red Hat that they would be better off
developing for Debian instead - ie. inclusion in the base distribution,
the bug system, wide distribution, not making money for someone else,
supportive user and developer community, fame and recognition,
more of a global focus, etc.

200 unpaid volunteers --> 200 free software enthusiasts

It would be good to mention how much momentum we have going for us.
Compare the number of packages in Debian 1.2 to the number of packages
in Debian 1.3.

Overall, it looks like good.  We could attract quite a few new users to
try us if we word it right.

Cheers,

 - Jim