Re: really rough first draft of release announcement

From: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
> Too many exclamation points!!!!

They are gone.

> It could be a bit shorter.

> I'd cut out the bit about the shuttle - it's cool, but I don't think
> people will consider it particularily relevant.

I'd really like to keep it.  It's just two lines. It says something
about the quality of the system. As a volunteer I feel darned proud
that my software has made it to orbit, and I think it's good bait for
new volunteers.

> Mention "alien", but don't dwell so much on it.

OK

    We were the first to provide automatic conversion of package types,
    and you can automaticaly convert between RPM, Slackware, and Debian
    packages.

> Mention that requests for help on debian-user almost always get answered
> within minutes - usually with positive results.  Actually, our
> user community is probably the best thing about Debian.

debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    There are a lot of experienced users on this list who can answer
    any question you might have. Questions are often answered in minutes,
    with positive results. There can be 50 messages a day or more on this
    list.

Should I move this higher?

> List which languages Debian is being internationalized for.

OK. Someone please tell me what languages, please. I think Italian,
French, Spanish, and German, but I have not heard in a while.

> The "Dpkg programmer's manual" is now the "Debian Packaging Manual".
> I don't really see the point of mentioning these though.

Hey, we've got documentation! Why not flaunt it?

> "KEEPING LINUX FREE" sounds too much like we're accusing the other
> distributions of being proprietary.

Well, I was. Snotty me. I pulled it out.

> Perhaps we should emphasize that
> we have the largest code-base of free software of any distribution
> (at least I think we do).

I said "The largest linux distribution" in the bullet points. Do you
have more text to suggest?

> The theme of this release should be "reliability, testing"

Uh-oh. Someone just asked me to tone that down. Did I do so too
much?

> Third-party support is also important - you might want to
> quickly collect a list of consultants that are willing to provide
> paid support (mark me down as one).

Someone please volunteer to keep this consultants list, please?
I'd be happy to put it on the CD if someone would keep it current.

> Mention that it can be easily installed, and upgraded, directly off
> the Internet via dpkg-ftp.

	You can upgrade automaticaly via FTP, or from CD or hard disk.

> You forgot the "bug system" - Red Hat doesn't have one.

Huh? I thought they copied ours. Did they take it offline?

	* We don't keep our bug-list secret - it's on our web server.

> I'd like it if we could somehow convince the developer community that
> is creating "contrib RPM's" for Red Hat that they would be better off
> developing for Debian instead - ie. inclusion in the base distribution,
> the bug system, wide distribution, not making money for someone else,
> supportive user and developer community, fame and recognition,
> more of a global focus, etc.

Can someone contribute text about this, please? It might be appropriate
for a subsequent announcement.

> It would be good to mention how much momentum we have going for us.
> Compare the number of packages in Debian 1.2 to the number of packages
> in Debian 1.3.

Unless I'm confused, it's only about 125 more. Is that a lot?

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.