Re: really rough first draft of release announcement

Great announcement Bruce, just a few comments though.

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

[snip]
> > I'd cut out the bit about the shuttle - it's cool, but I don't think
> > people will consider it particularily relevant.
>
> I'd really like to keep it.  It's just two lines. It says something
> about the quality of the system. As a volunteer I feel darned proud
> that my software has made it to orbit, and I think it's good bait for
> new volunteers.

Yes, I like it too. Please keep it in.

[snip]
> > It would be good to mention how much momentum we have going for us.
> > Compare the number of packages in Debian 1.2 to the number of packages
> > in Debian 1.3.
>
> Unless I'm confused, it's only about 125 more. Is that a lot?

I counted 331 last time :-) (Perhaps I included non-free+contrib, I don't
know exactly.)

Anyways, perhaps we should mention a few technical aspects, too. Here's
what comes right into my mind:

  - shadow passwd
  - complete new TeX packages based on teTeX
  - kernel 2.0.30 (or whatever we choose to ship now)
  - bash 2.0

Anything more that's intresting for the announcement?

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/