Re: really rough first draft of release announcement

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Bruce Perens:
>
> Perhaps we could make a little "preupgrade" script that does this and just
> tell people to run that? It's not so much that people upgrading debian will
> have trouble with this, it's that a newcomer to debian might see these
> cryptic commands in the install docs and get worried about how easy debian
> is to upgrade later.

another script we need is a .BAT file in the disks-i386/current
directory which prompts the user to label and insert disks, and rawrites
the install disks automatically.

i had to install debian at another site yesterday and was reminded of just
how ugly the command.com shell is - no real command history or editing.

something like:

---cut here---
@echo off

REM it's been ages since i wrote a batch file. this is for example
REM purposes only. this script could be improved a lot. probably should
REM ask the user questions (i.e. do you want to create disk X), and have
REM some error checking to find out if the disk write failed.

REM %1 = 1200 or 1440
REM %2 = drive letter (with colon)

echo "insert a floppy labeled "Debian Boot/Rescue (970520)" into drive %2"
rawrite2 -d %2 -f resc%1.bin

echo "insert a floppy labeled "Debian Drivers (970520)" into drive %2"
rawrite2 -d %2 -f drv%1.bin

echo "insert a floppy labeled "Debian Base 1 (970520)" into drive %2"
rawrite2 -d %2 base-1.bin

echo "insert a floppy labeled "Debian Base 2 (970520)" into drive %2"
rawrite2 -d %2 base-2.bin

echo "insert a floppy labeled "Debian Base 3 (970520)" into drive %2"
rawrite2 -d %2 base-3.bin

echo "insert a floppy labeled "Debian Base 4 (970520)" into drive %2"
rawrite2 -d %2 base-4.bin

echo "insert a floppy labeled "Debian Base 5 (970520)" into drive %2"
rawrite2 -d %2 base-5.bin
---cut here---

craig

PS: except for problems with the adaptec 2742 driver (kernel panic due to
"spurious interrupt") the install went very smoothly. The debian install
disks are getting better all the time. Excellent job!  Not only does nfs
install work wonderfully now, but the ftp install i did yesterday had no
problems either.

I pulled out the aha2742, installed onto the IDE drive, and am now ready
to compile a kernel without all the extra drivers...maybe it will work
this time. if not, I found a 2940 on a shelf at this new site - if it's
not being used for anything in the near future, i'll rebuild the machine
as PCI rather than EISA (it needs an upgrade anyway, a 486-66 with 8MB is
not enough of a machine to run a 4GB squid cache).

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract