Re: really rough first draft of release announcement

cas@taz.net.au (Craig Sanders)  wrote on 30.05.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.96.970530072738.335g-100000@siva.taz.net.au>:

> i had to install debian at another site yesterday and was reminded of just
> how ugly the command.com shell is - no real command history or editing.

I do agree it's a pretty ugly shell, but using command.com without
doskey.com is (almost exactly) like using bash without readline. Probably
the only reason people do this is because they don't know about it. (Or
they install 4dos.com (or bash), which has this (and more) builtin, of
course.) Doskey.com is what gives you a real command history and editing
(and even aliases) under standard DOS.

DOS is bad, but it's not _that_ bad. (Well, ok, older versions that don't
have doskey _are_ that bad. I think it's been there since DOS 5.)

> ---cut here---
> @echo off
>
> REM it's been ages since i wrote a batch file. this is for example
> REM purposes only. this script could be improved a lot. probably should
> REM ask the user questions (i.e. do you want to create disk X), and have
> REM some error checking to find out if the disk write failed.

Prompts are relatively easy under DOS 6 and 7, but pretty hard otherwise,
because older versions don't have choice.com. (Read the man pages - oops,
sorry, it's called "help" - to find out more.)

Error checking is usually done via errorlevel:

if errorlevel 5 somecommand

says to do somecommand if the exit code is currently _at least_ 5 (that
is, 5, 6, ..., 255).

> echo "insert a floppy labeled "Debian Boot/Rescue (970520)" into drive %2"

This won't even work with bash, let alone command.com. Try this:

echo insert a floppy labeled "Debian Boot/Rescue (970520)" into drive %2

(note the '"').

Furthermore, the first you'll want to do is check for enough arguments.
Something like

rem must have exactly 2 parameters
if "%2" == "" goto usage
if not "%3" == "" goto usage

[... and at the end ...]

goto done

:usage
echo.                                      (this makes an empty line)
echo Usage: mkdisks size drive
echo   where size = 1200 or 1440
echo   and drive = a: or b:
echo.