Re: translators

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> It would be nice to get a few column inches in say, The Times, saying
>
> Debian ... 200 volunteers who've mostly never met ... Internet ... firewalls
> ... space shuttle ... freeware ... http://www.debian.org
>
> (anyone want to fill in the dots ?)

(Is this anywhere near what we might want?  This is specifically not
emphasizing the "naive user" features since those aren't really ready
for prime time yet.)

Debian/GNU Linux is pleased to announce the release of the newest
version of their distribution of the Linux operating system, which
includes a huge collection of integrated software.  Debian and all of
its accompanying software are completely free, and support web, email,
ppp, nfs, samba, appleshare, and ftp services as both client and
server.

A machine running Debian can serve as an extremely flexible firewall
or router, and can provide internet services through a single internet
connection to a network of PC's (running Linux or nearly any other
OS).  Debian also makes a very cost effective file server for NFS,
Windows, and Appletalk networks, and includes support for Windows95,
Macintosh, Linux, Amiga, OS/2[1], and a variety of other file systems.

Debian is a product of "Software in the Public Interest" in
affiliation with the "Free Software Foundation" and is maintained by a
very large collection of volunteers (over 180) from around the globe.
These volunteers welcome new contributors, and communicate regularly
through a set of internet mailing lists to organize their activities.
Debian also includes a public bug tracking system (email and web
based) to which users are encouraged to report any problems they
encounter.  This system allows anyone to investigate outstanding
problems with the distribution and work on solutions.  Please see
http://www.debian.org for more details.

[1] Read only support at the moment.

--
Rob