Alternative 1.3 Press Releases (Was Re: translators)

Hi Bob,

I started putting a comment here and there, but got carried away and ended up
rewriting it --- see what you think.

I've hyped it up a bit, and lost some of the detail.

I still think it is too dry for the general press, but might do for the PC-mag
style computer press, or the more competent newspaper computer page.

I think it probably needs to be shorter, but I'm not sure where to cut it.

I think we need another version for the general press, with more emphasis on
the human-interest side:
 ``200 people who've never met put an operating system together
   that gets into space !''

Cheers, Phil.

P.S.  Look like the lists died --- must be release time again ;-)

-------
Software in the Public Interest is pleased to announce the release of Debian
GNU/Linux 1.3.  Included in the distribution is probably the largest
collection of software packages to be bundled with any Operating System
available today.

In addition to the features that one might expect to find on any fully
configured Unix-like system, Debian GNU/Linux includes:
 o  support for Microsoft, Novell and Apple networking
 o  extra development systems (from Fortran to Java)
 o  Internet/Intranet software (dial-up clients, web servers, routing,
    firewalling, ip-masquerading, TCP/IP and IPX, etc. etc.)
 o  military grade encryption for both e-mail and networking
 o  The X Windows System (X11R6)
 o  Advanced Typesetting Software and printing.
 o  the ability to run software from other operating systems
    (DOS, SCO Openserver, Solaris, Unixware and others)
 o  the ability to communicate with Psion Organisers and IBM Mainframes,
    and most things between.
 o  E-Mail, Fax, Voice-mail and Builtin Board Software
 o  Database Software
 o  The ability to upgrade to a new version, without having to re-install.

and much more.

So what does it cost ?

  Well, you can download it from the Internet free of charge from one of over
  70 mirror sites worldwide, or it can be bought for a modest sum on CD-ROM.

And who is it that's giving away thousands of dollars worth of software ?

  Software in the Public Interest is a group of about 200 unpaid volunteers,
  who have assembled Debian GNU/Linux from parts either written by themselves
  or found freely available on the Internet, and integrated into the system.

Debian GNU/Linux is truly the progeny of the Internet:

  Most of the developers have never met face to face (using Internet e-mail
  to coordinate their efforts on the project).

  The system's components were developed through the efforts of several
  thousand people using the Internet to exchange programs and ideas.

  The Internet lets the users help to enhance maintain the reliability of the
  system by e-mailing reports to the bug tracking system, and the mailing lists
  provide a forum for users and developers to help one another with problems.

To find out more about Debian GNU/Linux take a look at our web site:

   http://www.debian.org

----