Re: RFC: Debian Service Team

Hi!

To cut down the long mails, let me summarize the results so far (please
correct me something if I got something wrong):

It seams to me that we all agree in the major point: We should set up a
process of how "stable" uploads could be performed more "organized" in the
future, so that we don't risk introducing new bugs.

That's why I suggested the new team, but I agree that it's probably too
much work for us to maintain "two separate distributions" (stable and
unstable).

So what about this "process":

 - "stable/" (that is "bo/" for Debian 1.3) always contains the latest
1.3.x version, that has been officially released.

 - "stable-frozen/" (preparation) contains the "1.3.(x+1) frozen" tree,
that is, it contains lots of symlinks into "stable" and a few "real files"

 - a "stable" upload would be placed into "stable-frozen". This will be
allowed for three weeks

 - in the fourth week, no "stable" uploads are allowed (they are kept in
incoming)

 - after the fourth week, the "real files" from "stable-frozen" will be
copied into "stable-updates" and symlinks are created in "stable" to
reference these files. Then the "real files" in "stable-frozen" are
replaced by symlinks into "stable"

Consequences:

  - every "stable" upload will be tested for at least a week
  - there will be a new Debian 1.3.x release every four weeks
  - "stable" (together with "stable-updates") will always contain the
latest released version
  - "stable-updates" will only contain changed packages that simplify the
upgrade process for users with FTP access
  - there will not be a "stable-fixed" distribution what we have now

Disadvantages:

  - when files are moved from "stable-frozen" into "stable-updates", the
mirrors will have to get these files again

With this process, the Testing Team could continue their work on
"stable-frozen" and assure that 1.3.x will be become better and better.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/