Re: msdos-i386 directory...

dwarf@polaris.net said:
> I don't think that saying "the other guy's software is broken" is a
> productive solution. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that trying
> to screw around with the symlinks in the archive is a productive
> method either. I can solve it on the CDs I produce by converting the
> symlinks to hard links, but I don't believe that this is appropriate
> on the ftp archive.

Agreed.

So the problem is that brain dead DOS software cannot handle the way a long listing looks when it has symlinks ?

This could be fixed by causing the ls command to be invoked with a -L option (follow links), either in ftpd, or by changing ~ftp/bin/ls's defaults.

This would obviously cause problems with other clients, so we would need a way of switching this behavior on when required.  Can anyone think of a way of detecting when a broken client is connected ?

One could have an special address for the server (i.e. broken-ftp.debian.org), and run the patched ftpd on that.

Since this is all caused by broken ftp clients, how about just making the same directories available via HTTP ?  Is there likely to be anyone who has this broken ftp that will not also have a web browser of some sort ?

Cheers, Phil.